30 Last Minute & Free Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
You don't have to spend a lot of time or money to have the perfect Mother's Day gift.
May 02, 2014
You’re a young professional and mom loves you, just as you are!
Not to mention, you’re scrapped for time because you’re either constantly working for, what seems like, nothing or constantly on the job hunt for, what seems like, nothing.
The timing couldn’t be any worse but, nonetheless, you still want to show her how much you really care this Mother’s Day. After all, she deserves it.
FREE Mother’s Day Gifts
1. A framed photo of a happy memory from childhood or of you and mom together. FREE, unless you need to purchase a frame. In which case, we suggest the dollar store because they always have simple frames available for just $1.
2. One of these famous Mother’s Day poems, framed. FREE, unless you need to purchase a frame. In which case, we suggest the dollar store (they always have a ton for, you guessed it a dollar!
3. Offer to help her with difficult chores such as…
—cleaning out the garage
—cleaning out the attic
—washing the windows
P.S. This gift is FREE for you to give!
4. Your Amazon Prime, Netflix, or HBO GO account password. It’s FREE for you since you’re already paying for your subscription anyway and you’re usually allowed to add someone to your account. So, why not let mom enjoy it? Bonus points if you set it up for her, too!
Note: It’s important to sure you set up her own username and password so that she’s not accessing your account and accidentally shipping things to your place on your dime!
6. Let her know you’ll be making her breakfast in bed, getting her room service request and order with this clever Mother’s Day door hanger, FREE.
7. Tell mom what you love about her in a creative way. How about a 10 Things I Love about Mom Mini Book, FREE.
8. Create a customized Mother’s Day album, FREE.
9. Print and frame this wine label, for FREE and attach it to mom’s favorite bottle.
10. If you’re over the age of 21 and mom is a fan of wine, you can download this Mother’s Day album, FREE.
$25 & Under* Mother’s Day Gifts You Can Order Online
You’ll need a few days’ notice for the gifts below but, when applicable, we’ve utilized Amazon for their amazingly quick shipping abilities – not to mention free if you’re an Amazon Prime member!
Note – if you’re not, you can start a free 30-day trial here. Upon completing registration, you’re eligible to receive free two-day shipping for 30 days which means that all Amazon prime-eligible items (most items from Amazon on this list) will qualify for free shipping and arrive within two days.
11. An “I Love You to the Moon and Back” bookmark, $14, is both practical and sentimental – what more could mom want?
12. If mom’s got a sweet tooth, treat her to one of Sugafina’s sweet treats like this Sugar Mama Giftset, $25.
They come in delectable packaging which mom is such to find delicious on the outside, too!
13. If mom has a green thumb, why not give her something she can use to enjoy her gardening hobby? Seed bombs are unique and come in fun and unique sets. For example, this ultra-cute 3-pack set, $25, comes in mini canvas sacks split into types of seeds like organic herbs, organic salad greens and bee, butterfly and bird friendly organic edible flowers.
If mom’s into gardening and the family pets, you’re sure to impress her with this pet-friendly green gift! Try pet forage seed bombs, $12.
14. Mom will be proud serving her famous dishes at dinner parties when you give her a “Home is Where Your Mom Is” serving spoon, $25.
15. Mom deserves a little pampering! This charming My Little Delights treat bag covers it all with shower oil, a mini fragrance and a luxe hand cream. You won’t even need to wrap it because of the delightful bag it comes in. Plus, L’OCCITANE is available at many duty-free shops (if you’re traveling), Sephora stores nationwide and, of course, at L’OCCITANE stores, which are located at many malls nationwide. At under $20, what a steal!
16. As long as you know mom enjoys cooking (and won’t be offended) a fun apron is a great gift. Try Jessie Steele aprons, which start at around $22.
Same Day $25 & Under* Mother’s Day Gifts
17. A magazine subscription – they are usually under $20, you can order them online and pick up a hard copy of the latest issue at your local convenience store or gas station to give to mom on Mother’s Day. It’s a gift that mom is sure to appreciate all year long!
18. Stop in at the local bookshop and pick up mom’s favorite classic book, perhaps even one from her childhood or teenage years.
Alternatively, you could choose the book version of her favorite film? After all, they do say the book is always better! Choose the hardcover edition and be sure to include a heartfelt message written on the inside cover. Combine this with number ten and you’re sure to hit it out of the park.
Not sure what mom’s favorite book is? Here are some suggestions of classics that are sure to never fail:
—Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
—Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
—Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
—Wuthering Heights, by Jane Austen
—Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
—Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll
—The Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum
—The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
—Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
—To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
19. A Mother’s Day themed book is always a great idea, also. There are several routes you can take here, depending on what you think mom would enjoy more.
Our number one pick? Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me, by Maya Angelou, by Maya Angelou, where the one of the most infamous female poets of modern day shares poems about motherhood.
You can go with a more serious toned books such as Mom & Me & Mom, by Maya Angelou, where the legendary author shares a very personal story: the story of her relationship with her own mother.
More of a photography book, LIFE with Mother, by the Editors of Life, shares sentimental moments of mothers and children. It’s a great coffee table book, too.
For a more humorous approach, here’s another book suggestion. What started out as posting a few photos of his son online, mid-tantrum for a variety of ridiculous reasons that all parents can relate to such as, “the neighbor’s dog isn’t outside” or “I let him play on the grass,” parents everywhere started to relate – and contribute.
Parents of all ages will appreciate this hilarious book, Reasons My Kid is Crying, by Greg Pembroke, whether they have toddlers now or have had toddlers in the past.
20. If mom already has everything, including a heart of gold, why not donate to an amazing cause?
—If mom’s an animal lover, make an honor gift in her name to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). You can enter your own dollar amount to donate an amount you’re comfortable with.
—UNICEF (United Nation’s Children’s Fund) works to improve the lives of children globally. You can donate in mom’s honor – check out UNICEF’s Favorites under $25.
—Clearly, mom loves children. After all, she had YOU! Gift the gift of feeding a child that’s hungry, $25, through MercyCorps.
Don’t forget that Mother’s Day is about all of the important women in your life!
Remember, plenty of the gifts above, suggested for moms, could also apply to aunts (related or honorary), grandmothers and other important women in your life.
Here are a few Mother’s Day gift ideas specifically tailored to grandmas and aunts:
21. This book: “Funny, You Don’t Look Like a Grandmother”, $14. The title alone will make her day!
22. For the coffee and tea drinking grandmothers, try a fun mug, $12.
23. Grandma will surely treasure a piece of sentimental jewelry, especially if it’s from you!
24. Show grandma you value her memories and want to cherish them for years to come. Plus, it’s available at Hallmark, so you’ll be able to find it last minute.
25. If grandma’s a gardener, she’ll likely love receiving this garden marker, $7. Pair with mom’s suggestion number 13 (which could easily be for grandmothers or aunts, too, and you’re sure to have a wonderful gift set!
26. Bring a little humor to Mother’s Day by giving your aunt this crazy aunt mug.
27. Known as one of the best smelling candles out there (it’s one of Anthropologie’s best sellers) Aspen Bay’s Capri Blue Volcano Candle, $15, is sure to please your gift recipient.
Don’t be fooled by the travel size (the full sizes are a little pricier – around $28) – it still has 35 hours of burn time, comes in a decorative tin and is proud to be made in the USA.
28. For any of the women in your life, try Starbucks Create-Your-Own Mug, $15. You’ll be able to find a Starbucks on pretty much any street corner nowadays and you only need an hour and 20 minutes to finish the entire project!
If you only have about ten minutes, try Starbucks Stainless Steel Create-Your-Own-Tumbler, $19, instead.
29. Give the gift of glam with one of Sephora’s gift sets like their Fragrance Rollerball Sampler, $24, Meet Your Match, $25, lip and nail set, or Meet Your Match, Clean Get Away, $20, a sampler of cleansing and conditioning products for hair and body. There’s a Sephora at most malls nationwide, so there’s easy access for these gifts, too.
30. Who wouldn’t appreciate a fancy hand cream? Made by Lollia, these hand creams come in a variety of delicious scents and are available online at Amazon, starting at around $22, and at Anthropologie stores, $24, nationwide. They also come in mini sizes, $8, too!
*Note: prices have been rounded to nearest dollar amount and do not reflect any shipping and handling charges that may apply.