Resume Example: Elementary School Teacher
September 09, 2009
CERTIFIED ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER (Grades K-6)
Dedicated elementary teacher eager to resume full-time teaching career (currently a substitute for the Sometown PSD). Offer a proven track record of commended performance teaching grades K-6, with a passion for education and an unwavering commitment to optimizing student and school success.
- Creative Lesson Planning
- Curriculum Development
- Instructional Best Practices
- Classroom Management & Discipline
- Standardized Testing / Scoring
- Learner Assessment
- Experiential Learning
- Special Needs Students / IEPs
SOMETOWN PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT, Sometown, IN
Substitute Teacher (K-12), 1/09 to Present Elementary Teacher (K-6), 8/04 to 6/07 Student Teacher (Intern), 1/04 to 5/04
Hired as a full-time teacher following student teaching practicum, instructing all academic subject areas to classrooms of up to 28 1st, 2nd and 4th grade students. Left Sometown PSD (on excellent terms) at the end of the 2007 academic year to provide full-time care to cancer-stricken parent, and enthusiastically rehired as a substitute teacher for the current spring term.
- Earned high marks for the quality and creativity of classroom teaching, lesson plans and instructional materials used in teaching diverse subjects (e.g., language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and history).
- Developed innovative approaches that were repeatedly held up as the model standard for meeting district goals in areas including technology integration across the curriculum, experiential learning, literacy and diversity.
- Taught general education students as well as individuals with learning challenges and special needs within a mainstreamed, inclusive classroom.
- Consistently commended for ability to redirect students exhibiting behavior problems by replacing disruptive, unproductive patterns with positive behaviors. As a result, selected to lead district-wide in-service on classroom management.
- Actively served on a variety of school committees and task forces focused on curriculum development, textbook review, fundraising and anti-bullying efforts.
- Established positive relationships with students, parents, fellow teachers and school administrators/staff.
- Quickly became a “first-to-call” resource in current substitute teaching role, typically working four days per week. Personally requested by many full-time teachers to take over their classrooms during absences.
Primary Caregiver, 6/07 to 12/08
Stepped away from the classroom to serve as a primary caregiver to parent diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Provided daily care, assisted with financial affairs and coordinated treatment with medical professionals and hospice team.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, IN
- BA in Elementary Education, 2004
Indiana Teacher Certification (Grades K-6), 2004 (renewed in 2009)
“…Linda’s dedication to her students is exceptional… consistently brings creativity and innovation into her lesson plans and classroom… effectively addresses different learning styles… well-respected by teachers and staff…” — M. Johnson, Former Principal, Sometown Elementary School, Sometown PSD
“…We were so thrilled to get Linda back in the classroom this year as a substitute, but I can’t begin to describe my disappointment at being unable to offer her a full-time position at this time due to budget cutbacks… Our loss will most assuredly be another school’s gain… Her enthusiasm for teaching and genuine caring for her students is only surpassed by her instructional talents and resourcefulness… …she has my highest recommendation…” — R. Littleton, Principal, Sometown Elementary School, Sometown PSD